Digging into Intonation: A Look at the Principles Involved
This course is Beyond The Basics!
Please know that this is not for novice trainers, hence the ‘Level Two’ title!
This popular webinar is actually one of four modules in our Level 2 Series. It is occasionally offered as a stand-alone, unique webinar.
Learn from one of the best training leaders in the field of accent: Lorna Sikorski.
As with all our online programs, this webinar remains lively by including easy-to-follow presentations by Lorna, punctuated by live and written Q&A, as well as audience polling. Handouts will be emailed (or available for downloading) for both note-taking during and event and reference sources for the future!
-And This Particular Event…
Who is This For?
Again, this webinar and the entire Level 2 series is not for novice trainers. (see full details on prerequisites and attendance policies in our online store)
- Preferred Trainers at LDS & Associates have priority for every date offered.
- Those who have done some intonation work in one instructional format (e.g., individual, small group, etc.,), but now want applications to other formats or delivery modes!
- Those who want greater depth in their intonation training sessions.
- Those who have no problem seeing/working with intonation issues for Moderate or Mod+ accents, but who falter when presented with milder accents!
What do we cover?
Again, this is not for the novice instructor! We discuss broader applications for NAE, as well as cross-language problems for intonation assessment and training. We bring greater depth to assessment strategies with the P.O.E.C. and use the P.O.E.C. Screening Tool as the video vehicle, providing spontaneous speech samples for rating. We close the session with a challenging self-study assignment on intonation for selected language groups.
This is not a passive participation event. We want active trainers who will engage with Lorna Sikorski in lively brainstorming and Q&A, both live and written!
This session closes with a challenging self-directed assignment on intonation for selected language groups. You are invited to solicit feedback from the presenter on your discoveries during that self-study project!.
Who is this for?
- those who’ve done some intonation work in one format, but now want other applications!
- those who want greater depth in their intonation training
- those who have no problem seeing/working with intonation issues for moderate–severe accents, but who falter when presented with milder accents
This 2 ½-hour webinar looks at:
- Brief review of all essential intonation testing issues
- How do you rate on these?
- Instructional strategies beyond the basic intonation instruction – your weak areas?
- Linguistic generalizations for the seasoned trainer
- Set up of a ‘continuing ed’, self-study post webinar activity: Brainstorming Intonation Problems of Selected Language Families